Saturday, March 10, 2012

First Rejection, Then Success

I stood there shaking in the dimly lit hallway as they began to gather my measurements.  Height, weight, hair color, eye color, and everything in between.  I glanced to the left of me, my pigtails bopping around as I observed the room.  Another young girl stood beside me, with a similar look to my own, and her measurements were being taken as well.  It was just the two of us, with our hair and makeup done, our cute skirts and jeans, our flare tops, and the feeling of competition in the air.  It's just me and her.

At age 8, I knew I wanted to act.  That was my passion- and by living in New York City I was able to pursue it.  I just had my first audition for a Penny Marshall film and they had called me back, saying they wanted to see me again.  A call back on my first audition? That made my heart soar with happiness.  After that, they had called me yet again for a final audition, and this was with one other girl and I to audition with the director, Penny Marshall.

Once they called my name I entered the room, still shaking with nerves.

"Have a seat.  And do you mind if I smoke?" I shook my head, fearful for if I said yes that I would not be considered for the role.

I thought back to the girl waiting outside, knowing that this would be the only chance I would have to prove myself.  Just one little mistake could cost me the role.  There was no way I was going to see that girl on the big screen.  No, it was going to be me.

I said my lines to perfection, ignored the smoke filled air, and listened to her critique.  I did it several times over, each better than the last and putting a smile on her stern, intimidating face.  I did great.  That role was meant for me.

A week goes by without any word.  Maybe I wasn't meant for the role.  Then another week passes.  Finally after two weeks we get the call.  It was true- I didn't get the part.  When I asked why, they said it was because I was too tall.

Because of my height and not my talent, I was denied my first role.  It was then I realize the true meaning of rejection.  Rejection sometimes has nothing to do with your skill or talent, but just based on shallow things.  I've realized that this happens to the best, and without overcoming rejection, you can never reach success.  I knew I couldn't let my first audition be my last, so kept at it.  Since then, I've been hired for many gigs and have continued pursuing passion.

Never accept rejection- it's not an excuse.  Just keep trying!

1 comment:

  1. Roll with the punches does not mean you lost the fight. Especially as talented as you are. Always a pleasure to read, learn and follow.

    ReplyDelete