Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Frugal in New York City: Transportation

Now, the majority of us don't have a car, car insurance, know current gas prices, or can even drive. Even without these expenses, New York transportation is still expensive. Especially since the MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority raise their prices ever so often. So, here are some things I suggested that can help YOU save $$$ = :)
  1.  Take advantage of what the MTA has offered YOU! 
    They give you a 2 hour transfer limit between bus and subway.  When I am running quick errands in Manhattan, I usually see what the distance is between each place (longer distance = subway; shorter = bus).  I use a different one for each direction. You save $2.25 each time you do that, and it adds up!
    EXTRA SAVINGS: When you get on a bus, ask for a bus transfer ticket.  The driver will print one out for you and you can use that on a different bus if there is another one you can take to go somewhere else.  That's 3 trips out of one $2.25 fare!
  2. Sometimes it's just best to "cab it"
    It is.  If you have 4 people and you are going somewhere that is too far for walking, but too close to cough up $2.25, then take a cab.  When you divide it up amongst your friends, it ends up being around the same amount. And you took the luxury of a cab.  Just don't forget to tip!!
  3. Student metrocards
    Public NYC schools give students one metrocard with 3 swipes a day, to be used weekdays from 5:30am-8:30pm, excluding holidays.  But you can REALLY use it.....
    -From 5am-9pm (it's the MTA's "bumper time", I suppose)
    -On holidays. But risk getting caught. Be sly and have an excuse.  I've used "I AM going to school, we have rehearsal even though it is break" or "I'm using it for school purposes, since my teacher told us to use this day to visit the museum" Although it is not an excuse if it's the "truth", right..... *wink*
    -To give to anyone! Lend to brothers or sisters who might be in college when not using it (that's what my brother did for me!!! But I always carry my high school ID just in case....hey I could have been held back...)
  4. Put more on your metrocard
    Even though it is not a lot and the MTA keeps lowering it, you get extra on your metrocard when you add a large amount at one time.  $20 is good.  Not too high and enough to last you.  I think you get an extra $1.50 by doing that, so why not do it if you have the cash up front.
  5. Only buy an unlimited (monthly, weekly) if you know you will use it!
    They can either be your "saving grace" or worst nightmare.  Sometimes I buy it because I think I'll use it enough, then it turns out I just gave the MTA an extra $20 because I didn't.  Although an unlimited metrocard sounds nice, you need to actually use it! Using a monthly at least twice a day puts you $22 ahead! So if you are going to use it, then USE it!
    EXTRA SAVINGS: Buy at least one monthly for the family. My parents go out in the day, use it a couple times.  Then naturally as a college student, I go out at night so when they are sleeping, I use it.  We get approx. 4x a day on it...which makes the whole family :)
  6. Ask a local!
    Some neighborhoods have "Dollar Vans" or town cars that are called locally called "African Cabs".  These are privately owned but will get you to your destination for a lower price than a yellow city cab or sometimes just a little more than a subway.  Split it with your friends, and yes, it can be cheaper than a subway.
  7. Own a car? Out-of-state insurance.
    For the select few that do, try and use another residence if you do have one outside of NYC. This cuts your insurance bill almost in half!  Plus other states allow you to tint your windows darker.... :) Just make sure your license plate is your "permanent" address. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't say anything illegal about the metrocards!

    ReplyDelete